Tuesday 8 May 2012

Using the iPad at a conference

I attended the Intelligent Information Symposium in Sydney last week and took my iPad. We were presenting, so I decided to leave my laptop behind and just rely on the iPad. Constance, my co-presenter, placed the presentation PowerPoints on Dropbox and we both put our conference presentation notes and PowerPoints on our iPads using the iPad app, Good Reader. I also used the iPad app, Pages for taking notes during the presentations.

Advantages:
  • Using Good Reader meant I had all the associated conference PDFs, documents and PowerPoints at hand
  • Using Pages you can take your conference notes instead of toes on paper that have to be transcribed later, or notes on a laptop that need to be lugged around.
  • The iPad is much lighter than a laptop.
  • For some of the papers I used Twitter as my notes update method.
  • Using the conference WiFi you can keep up with email, Twitter etc

Disadvantages:
  • Where to stash it when you are having tea, coffee or lunch? It is too big to fit in your handbag, so you need to carry another sac, or backpack.

No comments: